Re: transmission lines from transformer

Original poster: "Dr. Resonance" <resonance@xxxxxxxxxx>

stripped feeders just lie on the ground / floor

Dr. Resonance
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 10:53 AM
Subject: Re: transmission lines from transformer

Original poster: Kurt Schraner <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Bob, Malcolm, Dr.Resonance,

Thanks, Bob, for the theory viewpoint analysis of the problem, - it makes me feel little more comfortable with my "solution" of the problem. A spice-simulation might confirm it. ...And yes, the 1k resistors were added close to the SRSG. Because this are wirewound Ohmite enamelled Resistors, they also represent a small inductance of a few uH (not known how much, to me).

However I'm not in doubt about the reality, reported by Malcolm and Dr.R., 'cause, before adding the resistors, arcovers were had at the safety gap, close to the HV-trannies. No actually available spice simulation will represent the f-spectrum, generated by a firing spark gap, at some higher level of power, and this may generate some strage things on a transmission lines. But the resistors, in my case, just eliminated the problem. So... I estimate the higher safety, regarding HV, mentioned before by David Rieben. If stripping the shield of the RG213 coax, and the HV feeders are laid down on the floor, the problem might not just be eliminated, 'cause there is also a (hard to predict) capacitance of the feeders to the floor. What about that? - Or do you need to conduct the stripped HV feeders, far away, above the floor?

Bob, I guess, not to fully understand your last paragraph of the reply:

> Perhaps R's could be added on the primary side of the SG to reduce RFI
> from the line transients of the primary. They would have to be by
> passed with inductors so they primarily damped the HF transients.
> Don't know if practical solutions exist for this suggestion.

Do you mean, to introduce R's in the primary _oscillating_ circuit of the TC, bypassing them by inductors, letting through the fundamental quarterwave f and suppressing hiher overtones? - If true, I "think" this might be a problematic approach, to deal with the problem, 'cause high efficiency of the primary circuit is a real goal.

Best regards,
                Kurt