Re: Tesla Coil Tuner

Original poster: "claudio masetto" <claudmas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I constructed Terry's TCT and added a simple PIC based frequency counter to it. Put it all in a small box so now I can read the frequency much more accurately. I also added a 10 turn pot for greater adjustment. Works great.

Claude.
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 22, 2005 5:26 AM
Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Tuner

Original poster: John Keith <jskeith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, May 20, 2005 9:45 PM Subject: Re: Tesla Coil Tuner

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <teslalist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> ---------------------------SNIP---------------------------

> The meter's inductance will probably be significant at say 200kHz. > Thus,
> "fiddling around" with the resistances will be needed. But that should > be
> real easy stuff to fix. Get the meter to go to full scale into a short
for
> the full range of frequencies.... Just use a little potentiometer to > "fix
> it" ;-)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Terry

Hi Terry,

   Rather than worrying about high-frequency rectification and meter
inductances, simply put the meter between the 9V battery and C2. Since the
current drawn by the 555 itself is low, the meter should give a fairly
accurate estimate of output current.
  Also, since most CMOS chips (including theLMC555) can sink more current
than they can source, I would return the output to the positive battery
terminal rather than the negative. The polarity of C1 would, of course, have
to be reversed.

Just an idea, hope it works...
John Keith