RE: First Light Great, Second Time Not So Great...

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <gary.lau@xxxxxx>

What you described is a classic case of over coupling between the
primary and secondary coils, resulting in what's referred to as "racing
sparks".  If you can reduce the coupling - by slightly raising the
secondary or lowering the primary - and if the sparks didn't damage the
secondary, you should be all right.

Please note that you don't have a toroid.  The thing on top of the
secondary coil is functionally referred to as a "top load".  If it is
donut-shaped, the shape is a torus, or toroid.  Your top load is a
sphere, which does not control the E-field as well as a toroid would,
and may also be why the streamers came from the top of the winding.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA