Re: First light great.

Original poster: "Bart B." <bartb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Daniel,

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Daniel Koll" <dk_spl_audio@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Ok, thanks. I will try making a toroid first but have some questions. When I make the disc out of wood, should I cover the whole thing in AL tape?

Yes. This is just a simple way to place a center disc into the toroid. Obviously, anything metallic will also work, but I usually have wire spool ends around so I use them for the purpose. Simply find something like a round wire spool end or whatever that is already round and near to the inner diameter of the toroid selection. If for example, you choose a 3"x12" toroid, the inner diameter would be a 6" disc. Before you cover with Al-Tape, drill a hole through the disc. The hole would be for a small diameter bolt (rounded head) used for attaching the top secondary wire to. Cover in Al-Tape completely (top, bottom, and sides). Use a glass jar or similar to rub the Al-Tape as smooth as you can get it. Then, place the bolt through the pre-drilled hole and fasten with a nut. The nut side should be inserted from the bottom of the disc up to the top so that the side which is facing the secondary has minimal protrusions.

Even the bottom? Anything else I should know? I will start with the 3"X12" that you recommended unless someone on the list doesn't think that is a good starting point.

After building the inner disc, simply form the flex tube to the same shape so that the disc rides center of the inner diameter. You should use Al-Tape again around the entire toroid to make it as smooth as possible. I just tear off strips and place them one at a time until it's to my liking. This will secure the disc to the tube and create a nice small toroid. Use the glass jar on the tube as well to rub out any protrusions from the tape.

I set up a little coil a few weeks ago and had an old Al-tape toroid I used. I decided to go into the garage and take some photos. Sometimes pictures are better to explain these things. I'll pop them up to my website.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/Img_0615.jpg
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/Img_0618.jpg
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/Img_0619.jpg

Be careful with the Al-tape. It can be sharp.
If I would have known about the coupling I would have changed my design.
This is my first coil and I had never heard of this ever being a problem. I ran the coil for probably 2 1/2 minutes total with this issue. The secondary seems to be fine and in as good condition as when I started, I hope the streamers didn't make pin holes through the enamel and polyurethane. If the new toroid does fail then I guess I will remove some of the secondary windings. My secondary is wound for 16" so if I take off a 1/4-1/2" I don't think the output will be reduced too much.

No, the output would not be affected. There are many things which could have happen. Coupling and tuning are two most common problems coilers run into. Both can cause racing sparks and can often be difficult to distinguish which (or both) may be the problem. There are other possibilities as well. If a visual inspection of the coil looks ok (both inside the form and out), the coil is likely ok. They can take some abuse to a degree.
Finally, many people said that maybe it was just out of tune. Isn't the coil tuned when you achieve the largest spark output? All I did was trial and error until I saw what I think was the biggest sparks.
This is a perfectly suitable method to tune the coil as long as nothing is damaged in the process. With high powered coils, this can be chancy. Your coil is not high powered, so I think it's fine. However, a far more precise method is to calc the system first. Unless the user made an error in the calculations, usually only minor adjustment is necessary for best output.

It would probably be a good idea to give further specs on other parts of the coil. Such as: cap size and type, spark gap, primary turns, primary inner and outer dimensions. These are the common specs for running a pretty good analysis on your coil. With that info, the coupling and tuning can be calc'd very precisely. JAVATC will tell-the-tale if you give it accurate data. If your uncomfortable with the program, just give your specs here and I'll run it for you.

http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc.html

Take care,
Bart B.

Thanks