Re: Secondary Turn Spacing

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz" <acmdq@xxxxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Cameron B. Prince" <cplists@xxxxxxxxxx>
Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to wind a new secondary and I wanted to get your input
turn spacing. The coil will be wound on a 12" diameter PVC form and I will
be using #17 AWG enamel coated solid wire. The coil will be driven by a 15KW
pole pig @ 14,400V. The topload will be a 10" x 30" spun aluminum toroid.
I was considering using 17lb. test nylon fishing line to space the turns in
an effort to minimize distributed capacity.
Could you guys give me your opinions on this?

Spacing does not reduce the distributed capacitance of the coil. It will increase it, actually, because you will need a longer coil for the same inductance. The distributed capacitance of a solenoidal coil is almost completely a function of the geometry of the coil alone, with negligible influence of the turns number, wire thickness, or wire spacing. Spacing can be used to reduce the high-frequency resistance of the coil, by reducing the "proximity effect", that reduces the current in the areas of the wires where they are at short distance. But with a so thick wire, I would not expect a significant loss reduction in your coil.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz