Re: X-ray HV cables

At 11:52 AM 11/1/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "MIKE HARDY" <MHARDY@xxxxxxxxxx>

I got a 150 KV rated xray HV cable. Per D.C.'s recomendations, I stripped the outer jacket, removed the braded shield, and cut off the 'candlestick' ends. I then reterminated to acomadate the connections as I needed. The outer jacket (what was under the shield CONDUCTS !! It nicely shorted the hv output of my PT! What's going on here? Is this normal? I placed the hv leads of a 15kv nst at 2 points on the insulation away from the conductor, and it happilly arced! Any thoughts would be apreciated.

Most HV cable has a semiconducting layer (or two or three) to even out the electric field and reduce internal corona. It makes the effective diameter of the wire larger, and since most of the current is being carried by the copper core, it doesn't appreciably change the loss.

Mind you, this wouldn't work too well for RF.