Re: center tapped transformers

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/2/05 4:22:09 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Q,

The secondary insulation of NST's and OBIT's cannot withstand
the voltage stress of what you're suggesting.

John

Original poster: "Qndre Qndre" <qndre_encrypt@xxxxxxxxxxx>

There is a question I asked myself over and over again since the
first time I've seen a schematic for a Tesla coil on the net: Why do
coilers ground the center tap of the secondary of the high voltage
transformer (NST or OBIT) instead of just doing the opposite
(insulating the case from ground very carefully or cut the connection
of the secondary to the case)? As far as I know this would be safer
since touching one of the output wires (or being accidently connected
to one by a streamer) wouldn't electrocute you in this case since the
output terminals weren't hot in respect to ground.

Regards, Q.