Re: PFC Question

Hi Ed,

I too believe the PFC's should not be in series but in parallel with the load. However, placing then directly across the transformer IS correct for NST's where the limiting inductance is internal to the transformer. But for PIGS, shouldn't the ballast inductor (assuming primary ballasting) be between the PFC and PIG. Otherwords, the PFC connected across the two variac outputs (+Vac and -Vac out), ballast between one of the variac outputs and a PIG input, and the other PIG input connected directly to the other variac output.

Gerry R.

Original poster: Esondrmn@xxxxxxx
David,

I think your caps in series with the transformer are acting like a capacitive ballast, and possibly causing a 60 hz resonance problem. Pfc caps should be connected directly across the input terminals (in parallel) to the transformer.

Ed Sonderman