Re: Tesla Receiver Coil ..........success?

"Original poster: mecortner@xxxxxxxxxx
>I still have several of them. Very shiny metal surface and utterly
>NG for RF cores of any Q I can imagine..

>Ed

What I'm looking for is a source of ferrite material,
at least a couple pints worth. What I'm doing is
grinding them up and recasting them with epoxy into
a new shape, a core for a generator. I did some
research and found that plain old powdered iron will
be fine at My frequencies (60hz-1000Hz). I was curious
as to weather you had a decent quantity and would be
willing to sell them?

---- Matt Cortner ----"

I have at most a pound or a pound and a half and the stuff is in such a hard phenolic binder that I doubt if you'd be able to grind them up well enough for your purposes. As for ferrites, there are many different mixes of course and don't know where you could buy the powder in lots of a few pounds. At least some outfit's I have been involved with formulate their own. You might contact a California outfit called Micrometals to see what they might provide. I'm sure you'll find them with a Google search, as well as finding ferrite vendors. Micrometals got started as a small outfit making pressed iron mechanical parts and then someone got them into the business of making powdered iron cores for RF uses. They're a standard supplier of RF cores now, both toroidal and otherwise.
By the way, I'm not sure that you can make a satisfactory core for a generator by mixing powder in epoxy. Maybe too much air space? I don't know much about the subject but would hate to see you go to a log of trouble only to end up in disappointment.

Ed