Re: Using HV COAX without stripping the shield

Hi Mike,

I'm not necessarily taking issue with Dr R. I'm suggesting an alternative way to fix the problem. Getting rid of the coax shielding doesn't get rid of the transmission line, but it certainly does change it and this may be enough to "fix the problem".

BTW, RG8 is 50 ohm cable and the dialectric is PE not foam. 75 ohm cable typically uses foam to get the higher Zo.

Original poster: "Mike" <induction@xxxxxxxxxxx>

gain. The networks you spoke about would need to take the ~ 300 amp at 2 X voltage and sink it.

I'm not sure I believe this. If terminated correctly, the coax can not reflect and there is no voltage doubling at the terminated end. The frequencies are much higher than the Fo of the coil and only the initial HF energy coming down the coax to the terminated pig end needs to be dissapated in the termination resister. If you allow run away to occur than maybe the high levels you speak can happen.

Gerry R.