Re: Tesla Receiver Coil ..........success? DC supplies

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Any of you DRRSTC people out there interested in a
> DC power source
> that practically can't be destroyed?

I've always had good luck with thyristor controlled
rectifiers. Just like a normal diode bridge or
full-wave doubler, but you replace some or all of the
diodes with SCRs fired by a lamp dimmer-like circuit.

The power factor of this setup is totally lousy- about
0.7 best case- but I still like it because SCRs seem
very hard to destroy. I used controlled rectifiers in
two of my SSTCs, and have had malfunctions bad enough
to blow fuses and breakers and scatter IGBT shrapnel
around the room, but I've never needed to replace a
SCR.

Steve Conner
http://www.scopeboy.com/