Re: PFC Question

Hi Brt,

Thanks for that info. Since I am using .1 uFd for
my primary cap, that kind of puts me in the STR
category doesn't it? So I believe that answers my
question. PFC isn't going to benefit my system any-
way so I will quit trying to use it. ;^/

David Rieben

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Friday, November 04, 2005 12:52 PM Subject: Re: PFC Question

Hi All,
Tesla list wrote:

Hi Ed,

The PFC caps only correct for inductive loads. If you are running the pig with a STR Cp value, then PFC caps wont work cause the load presented to the variac will be capacitive (maybe a PFC inductor will help here).
Gerry is correct. Most pig transformers run in STR mode. They don't have to, but it is typical to run a 0.1uF or less, and in these pig powered coils, a PFC cap will not help. But of course, on NST's and even some PT's, a PFC cap will be helpful. Most pig coilers don't use PFC caps that I'm aware of.
Take care,
Bart