Re: Blumlien HV generators

Hi Dr R,

Is the effect one of two I mention below?? or is it a third mechanism?? If it is a transmission line effect, can you explain why removing the shield fixes it and why proper termination doesn't??? If a resonant charging effect, can you descibe the L that the coax capacitance is resonanting with, the resonant frequency, and how this works??? If a third mechanism, I would like to challange you for the benefit of all the readers here to give a quick synopsis of this effect :o)).

Knowledge is everything and sharing it is golden.
Gerry R.

Also is it

These effects are well documented in Sargent & Dolan's book -- Power Electronics. Also covered are both strip line and circular HV generators. Very novel designs. It's out of print but I believe that Bert Pool (Stoneridge Engineering) has some copies for sale.

Anyway, going to the intent of the original post, I'm trying to understand the mechanism of voltage growth when using a shielded coax (not because I want to use shielded coaxes, but because I want to understand). Is the phenominum transmission line effects being underdamped while energy is feeding the line, is it a resonant charging effect (series LC) due to the capacitance of the coax, or is it some other mechanism??? Also in the TC context, is the blumlein effect the same as the transmission line effect I described above or something else???