Re: option 1 or option 2.....

Hi,

The difference between the 940 series caps and the 942 series is current handling. From the data sheets at:

http://www.cde.com

http://www.cde.com/filmframe.htm

We can compare the currents:

CAP                     Peak Current    RMS Current
940C20P15K              144             8.9
942C20P15K              432             13.5

The actual destruct point is about 1.5X these rated values:

CAP                     Peak Current    RMS Current
940C20P15K              216             17.8
942C20P15K              864             27.0

If you run the 940 series bellow 216 peak amps and 17.8 amps RMS then everything will be just fine. If you run more, they will burn up. Too much RMS current will overheat them and too much peak current will blow the metal connections.

Obviously, a given coil might be very happy with the 940 series so it is not surprising that some coils work fine with them. However, the 942 series is far stronger and what all the charts are made to conform too. Typically, people watch out for RMS heating so overheating is often avoided. However, end plates blowing out is sudden, dramatic, and fatal.

So it all depends on the currents "your" coil is seeing as to which cap is best. Of course, we always recommend the strongest and best as a rule.

Cheers,

        Terry