Re: 60A Variac on Ebay: inrush current problem

Original poster: Sparktron01@xxxxxxxxxxx

Justin

Yes, you comment is basically correct.

We scoped a 1.0kVA variac for giggles at work when initially powered.
(used a high speed digital storage oscilloscope, Tek TDS754 for the
curious).  First 20-30mS was a huge L/R  saturation offset (can be
positive or negative depending on turn on point a AC sine wave).  Then
a self excited resonant oscillation (200Hz to 1.0Khz, kind a
fuzzy with memory) lasted about 8 HF cycles.  AC forcing function
took over about 50-100ms (3-10 AC cycles) after initial powering.

It is very fast, ugly, and can easily damage sensitive electronics
(along with tripping breakers).  The "step-start" method mentioned
in previous postings has been around for many years (decades?),
is robust and reliable, and "cushions" AC line from impulse starting.
This method is exactly equivalent to "reduced voltage" starting
methods that have been around also for decades using first resistors,
now solid-state electronics to "soft start" motors/inductive loads.

Start up inrush on large transformers, AC motors and variacs can be
as much as 3X to 10X rated line current, so this is a big deal, especially
when you consider the thermal (and magnetic [mechanical] ) forces
on windings are generally a function of inrush current squared.
Early in my career, I watched the power company disconnect and reconnect
34.5kV 3 phase power to a 20MVA transformer(s) in 34.5kV switchyard at
a chemical plant where I started my career.  The connection was
_significantly_  more exciting then the disconnection and this was with
no load on secondary, and using motorized HV switches on the
primary...   :^)

Regards

Dave Sharpe, TCBOR/HEAS
Chesterfield, VA. USA