Re: New to this

Hi Stephen,

The best site I have seen for learning about tesla coils is:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk

be sure to look at his primer on coiling:

http://www.richieburnett.co.uk/tesla.shtml

The transformers you mention below are too low of voltage for a spark gap coil, but may be useful for a vacuum tube TC. Others can comment. For 24 inch arcs, you will need approximately 200 watts of power. A neon sign transformer would make a good starter transformer. (9KV at 30ma or 12KV at 30ma)

Gerry R.

Original poster: Stephen Timko <satimko@xxxxxxxxx>

Hey everyone, I'm new to this so I was wondering if I could get as much help as possible.

First of all, I'm a senior Electrical Engineering student at Youngstown State University in Youngstown, OH. We have a small group of people that are trying to start a school funded group interested in high-voltage design and testing, and recreating some of Tesla's experiments. I've always been interested in Tesla Coils, but could never find many people local to me that had any knowledge of building them.

I just bought some transformers and I was wondering if they would be good ones to start with. I'm not looking for two foot arcs or anything super impressive like that, just to keep in mind. The transformers I just bought are 120Vac input, with 1650 Vac output at 10mA. I have 6 of them, so wiring for additional current if needed is not a problem.

If anyone could give me an idea of what to really look for, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

--
Stephen Timko