RE: primary angle

Original poster: "Malcolm Watts" <m.j.watts@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 16 Nov 2005, at 18:24, Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Qndre Qndre" <qndre_encrypt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Hey Daniel,
>
> yes it does greatly affect the coupling. If you are using 0 degrees
> (flat spiral) you will have a very low coupling coefficient, which is
> the prefered configuration for coils. If you are using 90 degrees
> (cylindrial spiral) you will have a very high coupling coefficient
> which might result in racing arcs.
>
> Why doesn't every coil have a flat spiral if lose coupling is the
> configuration to be preferred?

Because you can achieve the same coupling constant with any coil
configuration. The determinants of k are *all* geometrical. Diameter
of primary coil, diameter of the secondary coil relative placements
are all involved. The nest argument for using a flat spiral is to get
the primary as far away from the business end of the secondary as
possible. It makes little difference if the secondary is tall.

Malcolm