From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: primary angle
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 18:29:38 -0700

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/16/05 1:34:18 PM Eastern Standard Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi, does the angle of the primary affect the coupling?  I have my
primary set at 40 degrees to horizontal becuase it was the easyest to
wind that way.  What should I do if angle is to high? thanks for input

Daniel From Canada

Daniel,

The angle affects the coupling.  Simply raise the secondary as
needed to prevent racing sparks.  First lower the secondary until
racing sparks occur at full power and good tune.  Then raise
the secondary until the racing sparks go away.

I think Bart's JavaTC program can calculate the coupling for
angled primaries.  So that method can be used to figure out
the coupling coefficient.

John