Re: Beginner Q's

Hi Michael,

H/D looks ok as does the 1" spacing between primary and secondary. K is at 0.135 when the primary is even with the bottom secondary turn which is a fine place to start. The frequency however will be lower than indicated in whatever program you used here, both indoor or outdoors. For indoors such as in a garage or whatever, you'll be looking nearer to 500 kHz. I placed your toroids 2" above the coil and the larger on top of the smaller. I showed 507 kHz. The primary then needed to be 9.6 turns, so be sure to do a primary scrap wire test before you actually build it to verify (the 8 turn primary would not have cut it). The static gap showed 8 electrodes. Using a pipe style gap with 1/2" electrodes, the total gap spacing for near Vp of the cap is about 0.4" or 0.057" between electrodes. The coil is capable of 39" sparks but realistically, you will likely see something between 30" and 40". Eventually, you may want to throw on a larger toroid.

Take care,
Bart

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: Michael Brooks <screaminfleadesigns@xxxxxxxxx>

Ok I think I need some education!
If you will permit me I would like to post the calcs for the coil I am trying to build.
I understand some of what it means but I am an electrician not an engineer. Any pointers or information on this design would greatly help!!

'Flea

POWER SUPPLY

Allanson Luminous Tube Transformer 120v input
15kv output
30ma
450VA

General Electric Volt-Pac Variable Transformer 120v input
120 ­ 140v output
7.5A

SECONDARY COIL

Outer Diameter 3.5 inches
Coil Length 14 inches
Aspect Ratio 1:4
Turns 651.1628N
Windings #24 Gauge Magnet Wire
Wire Length 596.3566 feet
Resonant Frequency 680.287 KHz
RF Resistance 249.68 12 Ohms
XL @ Resonance 35618.78 Ohms
Max Unloaded Q @ Resonance 142.657
Inductance 8.337334mH
Distributed / Stray Capacitance 6.572969pF
Approximate Loaded Q 50.94893
Terminal Capacity 6.572969pF
Resonant Frequency Drop to 480.963 KHz

TRANSFORMER / CAPACITOR MATCHING

Max Primary Capacitance .0038 microfarads
Minimum Voltage Rating 37500 Volts

SPARK GAP

Type Static
Number of Gaps 8
Gap Spacing .010 - .020 inches

TANK CAPACITOR

Type Rolled
Plate Thickness Aluminum Roof Flashing
Dielectric ; .040 Inches (40 mils) Polypropylene
Plate Length 60 Inches
Plate Width 14 Inches
Capacitance per Roll .019 microfarads
Voltage per Roll 8000v
Rolls Required (Series Connected) 5
Final Capacitance .0038 microfarads
Maximum Transformer Capacitance .0038 microfarads
Final Volt age Value 40kV

PRIMARY COIL < B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Inductance Needed for Resonance 14.4microhenries Type Flat Spiral Conductor .24? (1/4?) copper tube ­ .3725? (5/16?) OD Number of Turns 8N Spiral OD 14.75? (14-3/4") Spiral ID 5.375? (5-3/8?) Turns Spacing .3125? (5/16?) Approximate Tap Point Turn 7-8

TOPLOAD (TOROID)

TOROID 1

Torus Size 1? X 6?
Torus Capacitance 5.10 pF ­ This to match secondary terminal capacity
Suggested Diameter 2? - 4?
Suggested Power Level 200W ­ 400W

TOROID 2

Torus Size 2? X 8?
Torus Capacitance 6.80 pF ­ This to match secondary terminal capacity
Suggested Diameter 3? - 5?
Suggested Power Level 400W ­ 800W