Re: Oudin Coil Design

You get a block of it and do some machining

Dr. Resonance

An optional Telefunken quenched gap is suggested. This used copper disks separated by mica washers approx. 6 inches OD and 4-1/2 inches ID.
Can some one suggest a source of these washers? Is there a modern substitute for mica?
Thanks,
FJA "

Use micalex for the mica.
Dr. Resonance"
Those washers were only a few thousandths thick and I've never seen Micalex anywhere near that thin. Have you? My Amrad quenched gap of about 1917 uses 0.032" white fiber washers and I haven't been able to find any replacements for a couple that are burned. I have some black asbestos-based gasket material in the right thickness but have never gotten around to see if it will handle HV. Anybody know? By the way, making a quenched gap is not a simple task.
Ed