Re: outdoor coils

Original poster: "Langer Giv'r" <transworldsnowboarding19@xxxxxxxxxxx>

haha since i live with the most extreme temperatures in the world, its funny how it was +15 last week and it got down to -35 with the wind chill yesterday haha

From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: outdoor coils
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 11:03:14 -0700

Hey fellows,

Don't be afraid to pull out your coil and fire it in extreme cold. Actually, to my understanding, Tesla coils actually prefer the drier colder conditions as opposed to the warmer, more humid conditions
for making sparks anyway. Obviously, you would
NOT want to fire one off outdoors unprotected
during a rainstorm but the ambient temperature isn't that big of an issue IMHO. And Christopher Hooper
has made it clear that coils don't MIND firing
in the extreme heat environment of a southern
Arizona summer, either. I think the main concern
with the extreme temperatures is the coefficient
expansion/contraction caused by large swings
in ambient temperatures, possibly causing the windings
of the secondary to slip off and fall down during
very low temperatures. It has been my experience
that mulitple layers of Minwax Marine Spar Var-
nish will protect the secondary from this fate without
chipping or cracking itself. Glyptal is a bit more expensive
but will probably do it in one or two coats. I reside in the Memphis, TN area where we virtually never get sub-zero
cold but never-the-less do get considerable sub-freezing
temps during the middle of winter and PLENTY of
the "3 H's" - hazy, hot, humid - during the summer
months (90's virually every day with mid-70's dew
points -- in other words, miserable heat & humidity)
and I've never had any problems with my coils due to
the seasonal temperature changes here from storing
them in the un-climate controlled environment of my
garage.

My $.02 worth,
David Rieben