Re: SIZE of RF chokes?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

42 inches cant be correct. According to the......universal......sparklength formula, you should only get a max of 37" ( 1.7*sqrt inputpower ) in watts )

I think that's pretty funny. That post was from John Freau, a veteran coiler who actually invented that formula, and the TT-42 is one of the coils that he measured it from.

I seem to remember he wrote about what he called "Robust" NSTs, meaning that he found certain NSTs that he could push more power through than the nameplate rating. If you just multiply the rated volts of a NST (say 12000V) by the rated current (say 0.03A) the answer tells you next to nothing about how much power you can actually process through it in Tesla coil duty. A Tesla coil is a totally different load to a neon tube, and can pull more power, especially if you turn the variac up to 160V :-o

Of course, it can also pull less than the rating, and I bet that is what is happening in your case.

Steve Conner http://www.scopeboy.com/