Re: Tesla Safe Paint?

Original poster: Jeff Larson <jeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Certain types of paint do contain conductive substances. I have seen this with black spray paint. My guess is that it is carbon used as a pigment. I used this on some plastic parts used near a plasma globe and I saw the effects of the conductive paint on the discharge inside the globe. You can do some tests with the paint you are concerned about it. The other thing to consider is a reaction with the polyurethane and paint you want to use. You may want to test this on a small sample.
Some times paint will wrinkle if covering another paint if the paints are not compatible. I had some yellowing of the polyurethane that was under the epoxy I used to coat the secondary. Over time the epoxy separated from the pvc. If I had it to do over, I would have skipped the polyurethane and started with the epoxy.

Jeff Larson

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "C. Sibley" <a37chevy@xxxxxxxxx>

I have an 8" cardboard form for a secondaty that has
objectionable markings that I would like to hide.  I'd
like to spray paint each of the two ends 2" or so to
make it a nice uniform color, and then cover with
several coats of polyurethane before I wind the coil.
I'm afraid that the pigments in spray paint might be a
problem - any recommendations?

Thanks,

Curt.