Re: ...another newbie question

You may have an instrument (fast blow) type of fuse in your variac. Use a normal speed blow fuse, 10 Amp, and it should work fine. The fast blow style usually blows on the rapid turn on magnetism current for the variac core which peaks rapidly above the fuses rating. Or, you have a variac problem. Try it with no load to see what happens.

Dr. Resonance

Thanks for all the advice on the hazards of indoor coil operation. After hearing from you guys, man am I glad I asked.

I've got another technical question if anyone would care to weigh in. My 4" coil is powered by a 15/60 NST. It keeps blowing the 20 amp fuse in my variac. I think this means the coil needs PFC. I'm pretty sure I know what kind of caps would be right, but I'm having trouble determining the proper way (where & how) to hook them up. Could one of you help me out this info?

Thanks.  Dennis Hopkinton MA