Re: Safety gap issues

Hi Dr R.

I dont think even a single shot measurement can be used to estimate the top potential. When my coil was at 1KW with a 6x24 toroid on it, I got a single shot of 18 inches. This would translate to 1.2MV. The initial breakout voltage of the toroid of that size is 500KV. I think the 26.5KV/cm can only be used to estimate potential if the field is uniform and it clearly isn't for these geometries.

Gerry R.

You can NOT use the 14 inch spark discharge to calculate the potential ---
this is the long streamer formed after your plasma has "grown" to a great distance. With the coil you have described your true output is around 150 max!!! If you single shot pulse it you will find your true spark length. Then this value can be multiplied x 26.5 kV/cm to get the correct output potential.

I know everyone likes to tell their friends they have a 1/2 million volt coil, but it just isn't right. Our large Big Bruiser coil puts out an awesome 28 ft long spark running at 26 kVA and yet the true output voltage is only 833 kV --- it doesn't even break the 1 million volt level!!

Dr. Resonance