Re: Tesla coil output voltage

Hi JT,

The output voltage probably varies by +- 20% as it runs. Here is how Marco measures top voltage:

http://www.elisanet.fi/dncmrc/wprobe/wprobe.pdf

This is how I do it:

http://hot-streamer.com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/planant/waveant3.html

There is a newer version here:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/PlaneWave.pdf

You would also need one of these:

http://www.home.agilent.com/USeng/nav/-536895104.536880348/pd.html

They are far cheaper here:

www.jameco.com

Jameco P/N 132290

They go for like $10 on Ebay:

http://search.ebay.com/high-voltage-probe

This last item might be real useful and your school might just have one already.

It's all sort of a messy business, but it is a load of fun if you want to get into it. I am not sure we can break better than 5% accuracy though...

Cheers,

        Terry