From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 12:21 AM
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ...another newbie question

Hi Dennis,

Most of your questions, I think, have been answered.  With a 15/60
NST and no power factor correction, you should be seeing about 14
amps rms.  With PFC, this should be around 8 amps.  I dont think this
is the cause of blowing your 20 amp fuse.  The fuse should maybe be a
slow blow type cause inrush current can (even with no load on the
variac - or the output set to zero) can trip 20 circuit breakers (ask
how I know :o)).  I always power up the variac with its output set to
zero and sometimes the circuit breaker on the variac (20A) trips and
sometimes the main circuit breaker (20A) trips, Short of having
special turnon circuit, I just reset the which ever breaker trips
with the variac plugged in.  Once I get beyond powering up the
variac, things are normally OK,  I have never tripped a breaker with
normal operation (even a GFI one) and this is with 15KV/120ma NST.

Gerry R.