RE: ...another newbie question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>

You are correct about the peak voltage going up to 177V, but that is
already factored into the rating of the cap.  When a cap is rated at
165VAC, it assumes that the waveform is a sine wave with an RMS value of
165V or less.  The DC rating would be considerably higher.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

> Original poster: "Ken May" <kens.coil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> Yes, I know ,but 120volts is only the average not the max .In ac sine
wave
> the volt starts at 0 then it goes to 177v and back to 0  then to -177v
and
> back. It is an average of 120vac so the cap is subject to the volts of
> 177volts for 1/60 sec for x 30 times.....
>

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary" <Gary.Lau@xxxxxx>
>
> If your caps are rated at 165VAC, and your mains voltage is 120VAC, or
> 140VAC from a Variac, there's nothing to be gained by
series-paralleling