From: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Safety gap issues
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:01:55 -0700

You can NOT use the 14 inch spark discharge to calculate the potential ---
this is the long streamer formed after your plasma has "grown" to a great distance. With the coil you have described your true output is around 150 max!!! If you single shot pulse it you will find your true spark length. Then this value can be multiplied x 26.5 kV/cm to get the correct output potential.

I know everyone likes to tell their friends they have a 1/2 million volt coil, but it just isn't right. Our large Big Bruiser coil puts out an awesome 28 ft long spark running at 26 kVA and yet the true output voltage is only 833 kV --- it doesn't even break the 1 million volt level!!

Dr. Resonance

WOW, NICE. According to what you just said, my coil produces an absolute maximum of 533KV (if my toroid were perfectly smooth) Half a million volts seems too much for a mere 14" discharge average. But, if you say half a million, i'll go with that! :P