Re: Recent s.s.t.c. work

Original poster: "K. C. Herrick" <kchdlh@xxxxxxx>

Jimmy, Terry et al-

OK, perhaps my 30 V was not too high; in that case...I dunno what the problem was, yet. As I'd reported, I'm using NPN/PNP "totem pole" configurations to drive the bricks. Their collector supplies (charges in electrolytics) are each clamped at 30 V +/- 5% and I have fast diodes connected gate:+ and gate:- to clamp the + and - max. gate potentials to the ~30 V + the 0.7 V of the diodes.

I just now fished the busted brick out of the trash barrel and checked its source:drain. Also zapped. Does that give a hint to anyone? Perhaps my phase-shifting was at the time so far off that turn-off occurred at peak current--although, I had the input variac turned down pretty low at the time. I've never yet raised it beyond 20% or so, of its ~140 V output.

It's the kind of thing where one hates to keep trying out bricks one after another to see if the problem is fixed...right? With a feedback circuit dependent on primary current to operate, it's a little tough to do otherwise.

KCH