Re: Lifetime of CD942C20P15K is ~75 hours

Original poster: "dest" <dest@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Terry.

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <<mailto:vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>vardin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I finally did the great CD942C20P15K MMC capacitor life test.
> I ran three of them at 1414 VAC (60Hz) which is 2000Vpeak.

[...]

> So it appears that the CD942C20P15K capacitors can go for 75 hours at
> 2000Vpeak with little problem.  The next 25 hours will see
> significant internal arcing with total failure probably at the 100
> hour mark.

 i knew that no "self healing" would save them! :-)))
 he-he-he - just 75 hours, and imagine what would happen if for
 example D.C. used them in such mode of operation :-D
 i`m not afraid even of "75" value, but of the fact, that mmc would
 degrade slowly and rather unpredictably. we need to use a time counter
 with a coil - like it`s done on the precise devices, plus - several
 times a year verify the mmc capacitance - that`s suxxx :-)))

> Sometime I will try to run three at 1000VAC too.

 it would be interesting to test them at 2Vpeak=VDC - almost so called
 "properly derating" :-D
 anyway - thanx for current results (though i don`t think it was
 extremely hard to do technically :-D).