Re: Lifetime of CD942C20P15K is ~75 hours

Hi Jon,

At 10:21 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
That's good to know, Terry, thanks for the performing that experiment. One
thing it got me wondering about concerns the failure mode of ionization at
the plate edges. Specifically, would there be half the amount of ionization
at half of the voltage?

We know(?) that below 630VAC there "should not be" ionization, so the lifetime jumps to the usual say 200,000 hour MTBF numbers... As that voltage is increased just a little, I would guess that the ionization might occur on the portion of the sine wave above 630 * SQRT(2) volts. So there is certainly a "threshold" effect at 630VAC or 891Vpeak. Then it is a function of the time that the sine wave is above 891V or the ionization threshold. But there must be a power function in there too since ionization at say 1000V is a whole lot less than say 10,000 volts. But I have no idea it is proportion to V, V^2, or some other function (temperature??, ionization "start up" time??)... Maybe an RMS function... I have never seen any data on capacitors operated in such regions... I wonder if there is any detectable "power" increase in the cap's dissipation as ionization begins and with various high voltages? As far as I can tell, manufacturer's data on such issues is "zero"...

What I'm getting at here is the possibility of using twice as many
942C10P33K caps per string (at $1.68 each) instead of the 942C20P15K units
(at $2.45 each).

Looking at 12 of our "old faithful" 942C20P15K in series yields 12.5 nF; 11
of these series cominations in parallel gives 137.5 nF at a cost of $323.00.

Looking at 24 of the 942C10P33K in series yields 13.75 nF; 10 of these
series combinations in parallel would give 137.5 nF at a cost of $403.00.

It would end up costing 25% more than the 942C20P15K caps, and there would
be twice as many of them to deal with.  If there would be a significantly
longer MTBF using twice as many of them per string, perhaps it might justify
the added expense and hassle of using twice as many.

If say 50% more money would give us 5000% more life, then it could get real interesting ;-)) But we don't have the data or the life graphs to plug into the spreadsheets and equations. It is all too goofy to just guess at...

Right now, I have to take down the equipment to play with the OL-DRSSTC stuff... But I should return to this to see if there is a great advantage to be gained if we pull back on the peak voltage just a bit...

I do note that CD pulls back their rated AC voltage to "500VAC" instead of the usual "630VAC" for poly caps... I get the feeling that it is all very unknown or top secret... From the "cap engineers" I have talked to, I would guess they don't have a clue...

We run them over voltage to save big cash, but one could fall back to 500VAC per cap where lifetime is all important and money is not... There are thousands of applications that have proven that model out...

Cheers,

        Terry

Jon