Re: can this motor be made sync?

At 02:32 PM 10/6/2005, Tesla list wrote:
Original poster: "Dan" <DUllfig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

What makes an induction motor a-synchronous, is the fact that the armature is not magnetized. Period. if the armature does not slip with regards to the rotating magnetic field, there would be no induced magnetic field in the armature. That is why induction motors run slower than synchrony. It's not because it has no flats. Manufacturers would have thought of that already, if it acutally worked. No amount of flats is going to fix that. I don't know where that idea came from, i've seen it before on some website. I just chuckled.

Except that you CAN actually make a synchronous motor with an unmagnetized rotor...
Lots and lots of folks on this list have done it by machining flats on the rotor of an regular old induction motor.

It works much like a variable reluctance stepper, which also has an unmagnetized rotor.

Sure, you don't get the torque you'd get from a sync motor with a magnetized rotor (or a wound rotor, for that matter). But, hey, you also get a motor that has non-zero starting torque, so it starts by itself.

The only way would be to somehow magnetize the armature, but since it is mostly aluminum, I don't see how you would do that.

Dan