OL-DRSSTC 7

Hi,

Not anything "dramatic" to report since I am mostly just "fiddling" with it ;-) Here is the mess as it now stands ;-)

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-05-06-001.jpg

I am just charging it up with a low current DC supply at the moment. I had to take the trigger capacitor down to 200nF to get the trigger pulse inside 4uS pulse width. The wire loop through the CTs slowed it way down, so the 1uF cap had to go away. Have to keep the loop as short as possible too. Rise time is about 1uS. The 1.5 K resistor is at 150C now* and starting to turn a little brown. Glad I buy the best ones that can take some abuse :D that will take some re-engineering latter... But the SIDAC trigger circuit is flawless...

Trying to tune up the pulse trigger circuit:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-05-06-002.gif

The gate voltage from the trigger is in blue and the primary current, into mostly a resistor, is in yellow. The primary current is "taking over" the pulse trigger well. the coil's current seems to be out of phase... The gate parallel resistance is 100 ohms. That seems to be about right to damp the Lct vs. gate capacitance "ring" which is about 20kHz as predicted.

When let loose, you can see the coil ringing "way out" in the background right now:

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-05-06-003.gif

Fo is too high (I took out the protectors, which I need to put back in...) and the thing seems 180 out of phase... LOTs of "phase" issues with all the CTs and current monitors and scope probe inversions... I got all confused %:-)) So I stopped there...

*BTW - A cool toy is one of these infrared non-contact thermometers!

http://hot-streamer.com/temp/OL-DRSSTC-05-06-004.jpg

Many versions, but mine is just from Sears... About $40... But you can test temperatures of hot and high voltage stuff from a distance and they really DO work super well!! Has a laser pointer, but you will have to just eyeball it at really close range...

Stay tuned...

Cheers,

	Terry