Re: Why tesla coil is air-cored to operate efficiently at high freq?

Original poster: BunnyKiller <bunikllr@xxxxxxx>

answers are after your questions....

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: d a <btoc3000@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

I have three theoretical questions here:

I read this from a website: "A normal transformer users an iron core in order to operate at low frequencies, whereas the Tesla Coil is air-cored to operate efficiently at much higher frequencies".

I understand that a normal transformer relies on turn ratios and the air core is there to reinforce the magnetic flux.
actually, air gaps cause a loss in flux flow, thats why we use air gaps in the EI core inductors to reduce the current capacity

May I then ask, why is an iron core only required in low frequency operation and why do we use an air-core for high frequency operation?

in iron core transformers there is something called flux, it is a magnetic field that travels thru the iron ( it actually causes the electron spin to change direction a tad) and this flux has a sorta kinda mass to it once the flow gets going it is difficult to reverse it instantly and to do so takes power and if you increase the frequency of the directional swapping the iron core will heat up kinda like induction heating process with an air core transformer, the magnetic field is still there but not as tightly confined as in iron core trannies with no iron core in the way, the magnetic field can change direction rapidly with very little energy required to swap directions.

Lastly, I read this from another website: " In the Tesla "swing", the kick is supplied by the AC electrical current moving back and forth". Can someone elaborate on this please? Is it actually referring to the LC circuit - both the secondary and primary operating at the same frequency that reinforce each other?

there are two AC voltages used in a tesla coil the first one charges the cap and then the spark gap conducts creating a "new" AC voltage that is created when the cap discharges thru the inductor ( the primary coil) and the combination of cap value and inductor value will create a circuit that will oscillate at a specified frequency due to the cap and inductor... change either the cap or inductor and the frequency changes. The idea behind a Tesla Coil is to create an LC circuit ( cap and primary) and power it up and let the gap connect to create the oscillating wave. The secondary is made to recieve the hi frequency magnetic wave produced by the cap and primary during spark gap conduction. But to make a secondary and toriod to match the frequency of the cap and primary would not be easy. So what is done is that we create a secondary and toroid, get a rough idea of its natural frequency and then get caps and design the primary to match the secondary and toroid set. This is why we end up having a moveable tap point on the primary.... its alot easier to change the tap point on the primary than it is to change the windings on the secondary or change the toroid size.

as far as the increased voltage, it works on the theory that as the spark gap conducts the cap primary produces an enormous magnetic flux ( this magnetic field/fluxx is made due to the primary coil) that feeds into the base of the secondary, as the voltage ( electrons) work their way up to the top of the coil and deposit a good portion of them on the toroid, a reversal of current begins to travel back to the base of the secondary. The primary /cap LC circuit if in tune with the secondary toroid will supply another pulse of power to the portion of existing power that is returning to the secondary base. The combination of both the existing and new pulse adds more electrons to the system, and this happens 100+ thousand times a second. Eventually the continual addition of power will increase the voltage to a point that the toroid can no longer hold it and it is then released to the closest "ground" .

Scot D

Thank you very much for your kind attention.

Regards Sam