Re: Dielectric absorption (was LED Charge Indicator)

Original poster: dave pierson <davep@xxxxxxxx>

Tesla list wrote:

Original poster: "Peter Terren" <pterren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Triboelectric static generation is how van der Graaff generators work of course. I actually suspect that they are just manifestations of the same effect. I conceptualise it as moving two charged plates away from the dielectric and the voltage increases as capacitance decreases to conserve stored energy of 1/2CV^2. The dielectric has 'absorbed' the charge as a low voltage stress in the molecular structure to allow this to happen.

I think there is an underlying difference (and we may be getting OT....) tribolectric (better term than mine) depends on dissimilar materials, but requires not pre existing charge.

   Dielectric Absorption (and recover) is, i suggest, a separate matter.
   Both involve dielectrics, however the underlying physics is different...

   best
      dwp