Re: Off topic Jacobs ladder qustion

Original poster: Yurtle Turtle <yurtle_t@xxxxxxxxx>

I used to "cut" the necks off of beer bottles in high
school, to make glasses. There are two ways I would do
it. One was to rig up a jig with a simple glass
cutter. The bottle was placed sideways and rotated
with the glass cutter scoring the bottle. The second
way wasn't always 100% successful, but nearly always
worked. You soak a cotton string in alcohol (not
rubbing alcohol), then place it around the bottle
exactly where you want it cut. Now, prepare a pot of
water with ice. Once the water is nice and cold,
remove the ice. The water should be deep enough so you
can place your bottle (vase) into it, right up to the
line you want to cut. Now, burn the string, and hold
the bottle with the part you want to remove facing up.
Then, once the flame dies, quickly and as accurately
as possible, dip the bottle into the water. If you did
this right, it should snap right along the line where
the string was, which should be also be the water
line.

Practice on several beverage bottles first. If you
live in a state where beverage bottles are recycled,
this may not work, as the poor bottles have likely
been dropped, banged, etc., and will break where they
want to, not where you want them to.

This assumes your vase is a similar thickness to a
beer bottle, and isn't tempered glass.

Adam