VTTC Power Supply Fundamentals - What am I missing?

Original poster: "Chris Fanjoy" <zappyman@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Seems I've run into some tough problems with my VTTC power supply. I've been using a large MOT, with a simple voltage doubler like this:
----------||-----------+----+------ B+
| |
---->|---+ +--||--+
| |
------------+-------------------------+--- GND
Don't know how well that will display, but anyway.... So far I've obtained about 8-9" sparks from the coil, which is driven by a pair of 813 tubes. The sparks are very thick and hot, but it seemed to me that they should be longer considering the input power. So I connected a high-voltage meter (the type used for measuring CRT voltage) to the power supply, and was surprised to see a reading of only 2kV, even with no load. So I tried a different circuit:
---+----->|------+-----+-------
| | |
| C1 C2
| | |
| | |
| C3 C4
| | |
Now, with no load, I measure a good 4kV. But, when the coil is connected, it drops to less than half! What's more, the staccato controller is seriously messed up, locking into continuous wave when the variac is turned above roughly 20V.
The capacitors used for filtering are all microwave caps, arranged in series/parallel combinations as the situation warrants. Both circuits I've mentioned use 8 caps in all.
It seems I'm missing something here, but what? Why can't I keep the supply voltage around 4kV? And why does the stupid staccato controller keep acting up? The SC works great with the first circuit. I should mention that the SC is mounted in an external control box, which is connected via a shielded cable to the main unit.
Thanks for any help.