Re: Propeller Gaps & Timing!

Original poster: FutureT@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 10/21/05 10:15:43 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

I have been ajusting my syncronious gap for half an
hour now, and I can't seem to get the timing right!

Jerimiah,

That cap value should work fine.  I set my safety gaps
at about 3/8" at both sides of the NST (3/4" total gap)
for a 15kV NST.  SRSG timing is critical for best results.

I am absolutely SHURE that my motor is salent pole
syncronious @ 1800rpm in case anyone is wondering.

Your sure the motor is synchonous, but are you sure
it's not being loaded down by the electrodes and rotor?
Did you check the rotary gap with fluorescent light or
a strobe to be sure it's truly synchonous in actual use?

If your sparks are weak and unsteady and the coil is not
fully tuned, this will tend to make the electrodes run hotter
than normal.

Another thing that can be important is the spacing of the
electrodes.  Close spacing helps to give smoother operation.
Wide spacing can cause erratic operation.  But close spacing
increases the danger of electrode crashes.  The required spacing
depends on various factors.  Folks have had good results with
propeller gaps but  I actually prefer the use of electrodes which
are set perpendicular to the rotor.
This design can be seen at my website at:

  http://hometown.aol.com/futuret/page3.html

John