Re: SMALL SPARKS: PLENTY OF POWER- NO TIME

Original poster: "Mike" <mike.marcum@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Is that stranded wire getting hot in the primary? I'd use copper tubing, less lossy. What are you using for RF ground? Something's amiss, you should be getting around 7-8 feet.

Mike
To: <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, October 24, 2005 12:37 PM
Subject: SMALL SPARKS: PLENTY OF POWER- NO TIME

Original poster: tesla popp <teslas_lab@xxxxxxxxx>

I would usually troubly shoot this sort of problem
myself, but I am almost OUT OF TIME!  I have a show to
do in 5 days!

One of my coils has a BIG problem, It's drawing
20amps, and making 3.5 foot sparks.  This is VERY BAD.
 I have no idea why it is acting up, but I belive it
might be due to bad coupeling?!  {note: the winding
starts 1" above the bottom winding of the HELICAL
primary}

Operation of the coil is VERY STEADY, and is NOT
erratic at all.  I am pretty shure I have my SRSG set
where it should be.

[Note: please trust the specs I am providing]
-The tranny is a 15/120NST "Draws more with my L.T.R.
MMC"
-A 120BPS sallent pole syncronious rotery gap
-Secondary coil 6.25" x 40" 20awg, 1250 turns
-helical primary 12.5" wide, tapped at 6 turns "no
room for a flat spiral primary."
-MMC is .05uF

note- USE THE PICTURE LINK I HAVE PROVIDED TO SEE WHAT
I AM WORKING WITH.  Any ideas will greatly help!

http://www.amasingscience.com/teslacoils/images/TWIN_FULL.jpg

http://www.amasingscience.com/teslacoils/images/TWINBIG_PRI.jpg

http://www.amasingscience.com/teslacoils/images/TWIN_MMC.jpg

Thanks, Coiler Forever: Jeremiah Popp