Death of a Coil

Original poster: "James Zimmerschied" <zimtesla@xxxxxxx>

Tesla List readers: this applies to new coilers but also to sages:

I recently had a 4 x 17 coil go to Tesla boot hill due to a burn inside the PVC form the full length of the coil from the top wind straight down to the bottom wind. This was a coil wound with #28 wire where the wire was taken into the inside and back to the outside in a 1/2" stitch to keep the coil tight - both top and bottom. I did not wind it this way but obtained it from my brother who bought it on the internet.

The coil looked pretty good (except for a fairly thick coating of varnish on the outside). It also performed well for a number of runs over the course of a year.

When I first got the coil I had the inclination to pull those wires out so nothing was inside the PVC tube (my standard method of building coils). I could have put in a baffle - may or may not help. During the autopsy I observed that some black traces had gone along the inside of the 1/4" Lexan disk used to seal the top of the secondary. The traces lead from the outer edge where the high tension wire leads to the toroid across the disk to the stitch of wire that tied the upper end of the coil. There is a sharp bend at this point and ,no doubt, corona formed between the kink and the secondary wire leading to the toroid. The corona eventually lead to carbon traces.

When I was working with a rotary gap trying to get it in phase, there was enough stress in the coil to breakdown a path all the way down to the stitch at the bottom (ground) end. I noticed no output but thought this was due to tuning problems with the SRSG. I switched to a static gap to check things out and sure enough - smoke and the delightful smell of burnt PVC from inside the coil form.

I have built several other coils with the windings entirely on the outside and haven't had a problem. No baffles except for a top cover disk. Maybe some of you like to run the secondary inside the form at the top or bottom (or both). If you do I recommend baffles be installed and fairly frequent checks for soot marks. Avoid any sharp changes of direction with your wire since corona forms at these points.

Sincerely,
Jim Zimmerschied