Re: Top-load altering Q-factor of secondary cct

Original poster: Gav D <gdingley@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi Malcolm,
what I meant was that if adding top-capacity does increase Q-factor, then there must be a limit due to the basic Q-factor equation 1/R * sqrt(L/C) would start to manifest. I read somewhere that displacement currents from the top-load make their way back onto the secondary increasing Q-factor, the greater the mass of metal forming the top-load, the greater the effect of these displacement currents. However there comes a point where the capacity of this mass of metal forces the standard Q-factor equation to kick-in; due to its sqrt(1/C) factor it does not happen for a while.

There are a couple of ideas that come to mind in explaining how voltage output may be altered by top-load size, but I don't know if they would manifest in a Q-factor measurement, and the theory behind them is very Tesla. One is that output voltage may increase with increased top-load because the capacity at this point is much greater than the self-capacity of the coil, a kind of potential divider effect - I think?. I suggest this as second hand, it is something Tesla explains in the CS Notes. The second idea is that as you increase top-load capacity it can start to approximate your ground capacity, shifting the ground node up and so a lower voltage appears at the top of the secondary. Again this is second hand, Tesla suggests this in the True Wireless article. This latter idea tends to presume a standing wave, or transmission line model; a taboo topic I believe.

In sstc coils I have noted a massive increase in Q-factor with stupidly sized top-loads; the bandwidth is so narrow I can tune the oscillator circuit with the proximity of my hand. Only have to look at the secondary circuit and it goes out off tune.

Anyway, I'm drifting out of my depth here.

Thanks again,

Gavin