Re: To ground or not to ground?

Hi Dirk,

I missed a comma in my reply and think it was misinterpreted. The variac housing should be grounded to safety ground. I consider that to be part of the power supply box and the operator will come in contact with it during operation. The NST was excluded from this definition and assumed to either be under the TC primary or right next to it.. If the NST is with the TC, it is no longer a safety issue since no one will be near it during operation. For this configuration, I personally ground the NST to RF ground to help protect the mains wiring in case of a secondary to primary strike. Outdoor operation is also assumed where earth ground is the counterpoise. The variac controlled power cord from the power supply box to the NST can be a two wire cord. If a three wire cord is used, the safety ground wire should not be used. Same can be said for the fan power cord.

If indoors where a RF ground is not available, as Jim says, a conterpoise is required and needs to be grounded to the greenwire. Its function in this case is to collect all the RF currents caused by the secondary fields and return them to the secondary base to keep them out of the mains ground. This, however, is not perfect so power levels need to be kept low as well.

Gerry R.

Original poster: "Dirk Stubbs" <dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Thanks Gerry.

I have a total of three wires coming from  my control box.

1 - Variac controlled line
1 - Constant 120V line
1 - Neutral

Grounding of components in control box done through house ground except for
variac chassis as you mentioned.

Sounds like I have it all right.

Thanks again,
Dirk Stubbs