Re: It lives!!!!!

Rewire the variac to operate the NST at it's properly rated 120 VAC input.

MMCs should give you a bit of gain.

We now run 30 AWG  200 degree C wire on our NST coil with this rating.

Use 4 sec exposure at f1.2-1.4 for nice coil photos. Hang a vertical wire or rod and the spark will climb giving a nice appearance on the photos.

Dr. Resonance

Well after 3 months, I finally finished my
coil.  I would like to thank everyone on this
list with a special thanks out to Terry Fritz,
Dr. Resonance, Rich from Missouri, Jim L., Gerry R. and Tedd P.

My father and I are both IBEW(LU#124)
electricians but this was quite a learning
experience for the both of us. While we both went
through the apprenticeship at the hall and
touched on theories such as  high voltage, we
rarely used this knowledge. For example in my 12
years in the field, I have never had to size a
capacitor besides in class. Most of the time
things are already spec'ed out and we tend to be merely installers.

Anyway, here are the specs to my TC:

Power supply - 15/30 NST
Secondary - 22" x 4" - #23 AWG
Primary - Flat about 14 turns - ½" spacing. ¼"
copper tubing was tapped at 13 turn
Capacitor - .008 uF capacitance using doorknob capacitors
Toroid  - 16" x 4"  using 4" aluminum duct
Spark Gap - 8  - ¾" CU pipe segments with 1/16"
in between each. Used only 7. TCBOR/RQ  style
Filter - Terry Filter
Control Box  - 7.5 Amp variac. 10VR6 EMI filter,
fuse assembly, on/off switch, MOV

Saturday night I fired it off. I started at an easy 6" gap to grounded target. No problem, it easily struck it. Then I moved the target to 13". Once again, it struck the target. At this point the variac was about 75% turned on.

I next moved the target to 18". It had a hard time hitting this one. So I moved it to 16" which again worked.

I did turn the variac all the way up which pushed 140 volts through the NST. And then it blew my fuse(6Amp) in my power control. I installed a fuse on both hot and neutral of the 120v supply. However it blew the fuse on the neutral. Hmmm. Still trying to figure out why it is doing this.

Also another problem I was having was corona
buildup on my capacitor assembly. I use some ¾"x
1/8" wide copper  bar.   Two rectangle forms were
made so I could mount the caps between the
two.  However, I cut the bars at 90 degrees and
it would jump from the top rail to bottom rail
when the variac was turned up only on the corners
. I have lately redone the bars using ½" stock
and rounded the corners on the grinder. Hope this will help.

While I would like longer sparks, I still consider it a success at this point.

Somethings to do:

            1. Wrap a 28 AWG secondary.
            2. Try MMC
            3. Change primary tap