Re: Passive Ballasting for DRSSTC - My thoughts before Ed Wingates Teslathon

Original poster: Steve Ward <steve.ward@xxxxxxxxx>

I assume both of you (Ed and Dan) are measuring peak current with a CT on some sort of grounded target? I can easily perform this test some time, though the accuracy of any number i arrive at will probably only be good to maybe 10% as i dont have an oscilloscope that displays the exact value of the peak (i just have to judge it by eye). Or maybe i can borrow my friends DSO.

Dan, did you measure any difference in arc current with say a 2 foot arc and a 4 foot arc? I would imagine the shorter arcs might have more current through them (Assuming you have the coil running full power in each case), but this is dependent on what the actual impedance of the ionized channel is. I suppose i can test this myself if you havent already. Actually... im wondering why i havent performed this test yet.

Steve