Re: High voltage probe, odd NST measurements

Check the input impedance of your meter and take this into account when figuring the final "1Mohm to ground resistance.

If you are really going to go to 50KV with 10 1Gohm resisters, each resister will have 5KV across it and breakdown may be a problem. My HV probe is 1000:1 so a 50KV input will give a 50 volt output which should be fine for scopes and DVMs. The probe requires a 10Mohm load which is a typical 10:1 scope probe or a DVM.

I just got a thought. Your 12KV allanson is center taped meaning you have 6KV on any one of the two bushings. I'm thinking that with the correct connection and no reading that something is opening up or the 1Mohm is being shorted (maybe by the meter if it is somehow grounded). Maybe a bad 10 Gohm resister. Check the voltage rating of your resisters. You might try shorting out (only one at a time) each of the 1 Gohm resisters to find the bad resister (assuming this is the cause) and/or try the correct connection with the meter on the PVC insulator (incase the meter is shorting out the 1 Mohm resister)

Gerry R.