Re: Our fun Teslathon / Lightning on the Lawn party

Original poster: tb3@xxxxxxx

Hi all,

Jeff Larson and I took plenty of photos and video from the RATCB2005 Teslathon (10 days ago) and the Cheesehead IV Teslathon (3 days ago). We traveled 625 miles to the RATCB and 180 miles to the Cheesehead. These back-to-back weekend teslathons are really tough (DC, how about a week or 2 break in there next year?).

Anyway, as usual, I expect to provide tons of photos on my website for the two Teslathons. But I have to get together with Jeff to combine photos. Then weed out the 800 or so bad photos to get the 100 good ones. Hehe. Those remaining 100 get cropped and have various adjustments made in photoshop, to improve the quality and bring out the sparks. Then I'll post em for ya. This should happen in 1-2 weeks.

Maybe I could get a few preliminary photos posted so you can have something to look at. DC really had some monster coils running, the biggest I have seen in person. It's not everyday you get to see a 17 foot tall teslacoil belt out streamers 25 feet long. Even DC's little teslacoil was 12 foot tall and put out 16+ foot streamers.

As for video. I always intend to make DVDs of every teslathon I attend, but don't seem to get them all done. One problem is that the editing software I use (which I really like), tends to get less responsive as the project gets more complex. So any little change causes the program to freeze up for a long time, while it gets everything figured out. Compound that with the issue of requiring 8-10 hours to fully re-render a DVD after each change (if the software does not crash overnight) and the effort gets very frustrating.

But this summer, while attempting to put together RATCB2004, I tried breaking the video into lots of smaller projects, one for each chapter of the final DVD. The small projects never overloaded the software, which continued to be easy to work with and make changes to. Then, each chapter was output as a DVD-compatible file that could be stitched together with the others in about 30 minutes. It was because of this method I was able to get the RATCB2004 DVD done in time for the RATCB2005 teslathon.

I would like to enjoy some of the remaining summer days that are not over 90 degrees, and crank out the DVDs in the late October time frame. Have to see. There was an event from last June (non-TC) that also demands conversion into a DVD. So I gotta get this process streamlined even better.

A number of people have asked about PAL versions of the DVDs. I am not sure how to do it or test it, but there appear to be a lot of folks that do not have NTSC video in their country, but still like tesla coils. So I am looking into that also.

Cheers,

Terry Blake

Slowly recovering in Chicago

<http://www.tb3.com/tesla/teslathons.html>http://www.tb3.com/tesla/teslathons.html