Re: Capacitor in series or parallel?

Original poster: Mddeming@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/7/05 12:53:20 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tesla@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi Dirk,

Some folks have made it work both ways, however, the safest way, and the way to place the least stress on the power transformer is with the gap across the transformer output and the cap in series with the coil.

Matt D.
Original poster: "Dirk Stubbs" <dirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On the primary circuit of a Tesla coil, is it better to put the
capacitor in series or parallel with the primary coil. I have seen
numerous Tesla coil schematics that place the cap in parallel with
the primary, others the cap is in series with the primary. If the cap
was in parallel with the primary coil, the spark gap was in series
with the primary coil and vice versa.

I hope I have accurately described my question.

Dirk

-