Re: Which Pspice for the Coiler?

Original poster: "Kurt Schraner" <k.schraner@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Antonio, Terry, Steve Connor, Ken Herrick for before...

much thanks for your resposes to my questions.

My idea to stay with Microsim/OrCAD was indeed beeing able to share simulation files with other coilers, as mentioned by Steve. I've tried installing OrCad 10.0 demo. It would support a perhaps nice new feature for coilers, by supporting real, nonlinear magnetics iron cored transformers. But I met a serious problem: the installation has a problem with the "Norton Internet Security Firewall". If the firewall is active, you cannot use capture (=the schematics editor), while on the other hand, the software seems resorting to internet resources, if i.e. you try "help". This was confirmed yesterday, when I met the Swiss OrCad representative at electronic fair INELTEC. There might be a workaround for it, which the representative affirmed to seek for. In addition, there is also a considerable learning effort, to master the new surface of OrCad. As is, in my view, the internet problem seems inacceptable, and I resorted to old Microsim 8, in order to be able using my former simulations. BTW: it can be installed on Win XP, without having compatibility problems, despite it's age...

Microsim 8, as Terry confirmed, is yet good for most coiler needs. I'm just a little unhappy about the rudimentary printout possibilities, and about not beeing able to display useful grids in the probe diagrams. Anybody having a better experience?

Of course. if doing sim's just for youself, as a "lone wolf", other sim packages might be better or easier:

I've not yet tried Antonio's preferred, fast SwitcherCad, but consider to do. Thanks Antonio.

Another nice tool was favoured by Ken Herrick, September 11th 2002 ,
titled "MicroSim's Pspice Student vs. SiMetrix Intro":
SiMetrix Intro, a free version, at http://www.newburytech.co.uk
which indeed seems easy to learn for "old dogs", I belong to (66). Downloded it and tried today by doing the short tutorials - indeed exciting! A drawback may be the limited componets library of only 170 elements in the intro version (don't yet know, if including company supplied pspice models are supported by the intro version). Considering the time effort setting up a schematic, net simulation speed may be a little less predominant, if not performing strong parametric studies. I "think" the exchange of simulations among coilers would also be easy, by just sending schematics files with extension *.sxsch, instead of microsim's *.sch. There may be another problem with the program, not featuring PCB designs, which may make it unattractive for the recent trend in DRSSTC design.

I'm sure, there are other alternative simulators.

Best regards

Kurt Schraner
http://home.datacomm.ch/k.schraner/index.htm