Re: Capacitor in series or parallel?

Original poster: Steve Conner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I must disagree; it is not a moot point... > With transformer across the > gap, the > transformer sees only the RF voltage drop across the > gap WHILE the > gap is firing, essentially a few hundred volts > instead of ~20+ KV.

It also sees a "20+kV" step function when the gap
fires. I can imagine scenarios where that would excite
ringing in the transformer windings and be more
harmful than the relatively pure sine wave you get
across the capacitor. Tesla tried it both ways and
never seemed to come to a conclusion.

Steve Conner